DegreeWorks FAQs


DegreeWorks provides real-time advice for degree progression and planning. Similar to a transcript, it gives UNC Charlotte students access to their plan of study as well as an overall glance of their academic progress.  The Graduate School has provided a Student Guide with additional information on accessing DegreeWorks (via and how to track academic progression.

What is DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks provides you with academic information (or audit) related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. You can check DegreeWorks at any time to see what courses you have completed and what requirements you still need to meet. 

(Note: Unlike DegreeWorks, your transcript is your official academic record.)

Where can I find DegreeWorks?

Students can access DegreeWorks 24/7 at and through Consider bookmarking these sites!

Why should I use DegreeWorks?
  • It lists information regarding your current program(s), including graduation requirements, major requirements (with concentration), as well as certain minor and certificate requirements

  • It applies courses to degree requirements and identifies courses that are still needed

  • It shows requirements for alternate curricula using the “What-If” tool

  • It shows the cumulative grade-point-average (GPA) as well as most major GPAs

  • It calculates your GPA based on performance for the term

  • It assists in determining the grade combination(s) needed to achieve a GPA goal

What if I think there is a discrepancy in my degree audit?

A student’s degree audit is an unofficial check of the requirements they have completed and the requirements they have remaining. While unofficial, it should be an accurate reflection of their progress in meeting degree requirements. If you believe there is an error on the degree audit, please contact your advisor or

Will my degree audit clear me for graduation?

DegreeWorks does not provide degree clearance, though you and your advisor should use it to view your progress toward meeting graduation requirements. Official final degree clearance is completed only when confirmed by the Graduate School, the Office of the Registrar, and the major/minor/certificate department.

How do I read my degree audit?

There is a legend at the bottom of your audit.

  • Complete: You have completed the course or requirement

  • Not Complete: You have not taken/registered for the required course(s) 

  • In-progress: You are currently taking/registered for required course(s) 

  • Nearly Complete: Course requirements are complete, but a component is not yet met (e.g., minimum GPA, etc.)

  • Transfer Class: A course transferred to UNC Charlotte from another institution

  • Any Subject or Course Number: The @ sign means “any.” When used in front of a course number/range, it means any subject – ex. @ 200:299, any 200-level course.  When used after a subject, it means any course number – ex. BIOL @, any biology course.

Does using the “What If” feature change anything?

No. When you click “What If,” you are simply viewing what your progress would look like if you were to change your major, catalog year, etc. Changes of this sort must be made in consultation with your advisor and by filing a petition at

Can I print my audit or a "What If" audit?

Yes. There is a print icon in the top right-hand corner. 

How current is the information in DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in DegreeWorks tomorrow.

Why does one of my courses show up more than once?

A course can show up multiple times if it can be repeated for credit within the program requirements. This is often the case for thesis and doctoral research courses. Sometimes a course can satisfy more than one requirement. In these cases, the course will appear in multiple places on the audit.

What are Fallthrough Courses? 

The Fallthrough Courses section contains courses that were taken and passed that do not fulfill a requirement. (Note: If you’ve been permitted to substitute one of these courses for a requirement, an academic petition must be submitted to apply for the course. The course will remain in the Fallthrough Courses section until the petition has been approved.)

Whom do I contact if I have any issues or questions regarding DegreeWorks? 

Request Service
You can also find more information here