The graduation process & DegreeWorks
Check your audit
DegreeWorks is the definitive record for graduation clearance. Students, faculty, and staff may access the system through my.uncc.edu. All students should routinely check their degree progress in DegreeWorks.
Meet with your advisor
Prior to the final term, all students are encouraged to schedule an appointment to meet with their advisor and/or graduate program director. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that he/she is making satisfactory progress towards graduation, based on the program requirements outlined in DegreeWorks and any additional directions issued by the graduate program.
Per academic policy, all students must be enrolled in the term of graduation, even if all degree/certificate requirements have been met.
Apply for graduation
All students (doctoral, master’s, certificate) must apply for graduation by the published deadline in the final term. Check your DegreeWorks audit if you're not sure if you applied to graduate.
Students who fail to apply for graduation by the published deadline will not be evaluated for graduation and will be ineligible to participate in the commencement ceremony. Students who apply to graduate but fail to finish will need to update their application to graduate to a future term. (There is no penalty for failing to finish after applying to graduate.)
Follow these steps to apply for graduation:
- Log into my.uncc.edu using your NinerNET username and password.
- Click the Banner Self Service link.
- In the Student Services/Student Accounts tab, select the Student Records option.
- Click on Online Graduation Application. [View Next Steps]
Letters of Completion
When a student graduates, degree awarding is confirmed and processed within a week of the date of Commencement. What does that mean for you?
- You can order OFFICIAL transcripts with your degree posted within a week following commencement.
- You can print UNOFFICIAL transcripts from Banner Self-Service at any time.
- Your DegreeWorks audit will include the dates of your milestone completion.
Occasionally a student needs official verification of a degree before it is posted. This could be because a job offer cannot be made without official confirmation, for example. If you need a letter of completion for an official reason and cannot wait for your degree to post to your transcript, you must submit the following with your request:
- The full rationale for your request, including the reason you cannot wait for your transcript.
- The name and address of the person requesting the verification. NOTE – this cannot be the student.
- Documentation from the requesting party (the employer, school, etc.). You must show that this letter is required.
Please note: The Graduate School does NOT provide letters of completion simply because a student completed the program. That is what the transcript demonstrates.
Please allow 7 business days for letters to be prepared
For all general questions regarding graduation clearance, please contact email@example.com.
For doctoral and master's student inquiries regarding graduation clearance, please contact Dr. Aura Young (firstname.lastname@example.org).