Important: How to access and use iThenticate
- You must apply to graduate in order to gain access to iThenticate. It may take up to 24 hours before the system gives you access.
- To open an account, please click this link.
- You should upload and share your work at least two weeks prior to your final defense.
- Upload your entire document, including abstract.
- When submitting a document for committee review, the only allowable exclusions are for quotations and the bibliography. Do not exclude small phrases, the abstract, etc.
- Add users with whom to share your work. If you do not see your committee members listed, you will need to download your report as a PDF file to share. The "download" button looks like a small print icon at the bottom left of the report.
- Do not simply look at the resulting similarity index--a percentage that may seem shockingly high. Instead, you and your dissertation committee must review and interpret the report. If you find that you have unintentionally plagiarized, this is your chance to correct the oversight.
- By signing the Final Defense Report, the dissertation committee verifies that they have reviewed the Similarity Report and have found that the work is original and properly cited. As always, the Final Defense Report is also verification that the student successfully passed the final defense.
A Note for Faculty:
When a student applies to graduate, any faculty members assigned to their dissertation or thesis committee are automatically added to the iThenticate access group. However, this does not create the account. You must complete this process by logging into our iThenticate URL.
Once these steps are completed, you will appear within iThenticate as a user, and your student will be able to share their similarity reports directly with you through iThenticate. Students also have the option of downloading a PDF version of any reports, which can be shared via other means.
To have your iThenticate account made permanently active so that it can be used for other purposes as well, please submit a helpdesk ticket.